I made these last week and they were (surprisingly) so good! After reviewing my resolutions, I am back on the baking train. I started off with this recipe, but made so many changes that I consider these muffins an original creation.
I have been experimenting with vegan baking for a couple of years and concluded that there is one secret weapon to success:
Everything is better with a little coconut oil, but mostly it adds a richness that is woooonderful.
The other secret to these muffins is toasting your coconut:
- 2 cups whole wheat white flour (I’m assuming that these could easily be gluten free as well if you substituted coconut flour for the whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup toasted unsweetened coconut